CII Research Arm Publishes Report on Key GameStop IssuesA new CII Research and Education Fund (CII-REF) report addresses three issues at the forefront of policymaking in the wake of the “meme stock” trading frenzy that roiled the U.S. equities market in January 2021. The paper examines 1) potential conflicts of interest in the payment for order flow system in which market makers pay brokers in exchange for routing investors’ trade orders, 2) transparency of short positions and 3) whether to shorten the two-day delay in trade settlement. While the report does not endorse any particular policy actions, it reviews some of the reasons these issues have emerged or resurfaced, and how changes could impact markets positively or negatively. SEC Chair Gary Gensler discussed these and other issues related to wild trading in GameStop, at a Mays 6 hearing on Capitol Hill.
CII Urges Congress to Overturn SEC Shareholder Proposal Rule AmendmentsIn a letter to leaders of the Senate Banking Committee, CII strongly urged Congress to use the Congressional Review Act (CRA) to overturn the SEC’s 2020 amendments to the shareholder proposal rule, which raised the thresholds for filing and resubmitting proposals. CII said CRA disapproval is appropriate because the amendments would result in a process that is more complicated, more constricting and more costly. In addition, the letter states, the SEC adopted the amendments through a rulemaking process that the agency’s own Investor Advocate found to be fundamentally flawed.
Letter to SEC Chair Gensler Outlines CII PrioritiesCII has submitted a letter to SEC Chair Gary Gensler urging the selection of an investor-focused individual for the role of chief accountant. An attached appendix calls for the adoption of a number of existing rulemaking proposals or petitions that would address long-standing investor needs. These include action on clawbacks of unearned executive compensation, 10b5-1 trading plan reform, diversity disclosure, reconciliation of non-GAAP metrics and universal proxies for contested director elections.
12:30 PM to 1:30 PM EDT
9/22/2021 to 9/24/2021 EDT
11/17/2021 to 11/19/2021 EST
3/7/2022 to 3/9/2022 EST
9/20/2022 to 9/22/2022 EDT
3/6/2023 to 3/8/2023 EST
9/11/2023 to 9/13/2023 PDT
3/4/2024 to 3/6/2024 PST
News & Highlights
- May 10 - Gary Gensler Has an Auditing Problem
- May 9 - US Investors Revolt Against Executive Pay in Record Numbers
- May 6 - From Archegos to Crypto, Gensler Signals Cop Is Back on Beat
- May 6 - Top U.S. Fund Leader Wants Voluntary Climate Disclosure Rules
- May 5 - The World’s Largest Pension Fund Has Cooled on ESG. Should You?
- May 5 - GameStop Frenzy, Archegos Meltdown May Prompt New SEC Rules, Chairman Says
- Stay up-to-date on the latest in corporate governance with weekly educational events
- Access our private, weekly CII Governance Alert E-Newsletter and other reports
- Interact with industry leaders and corporate governance professionals at our semi-annual conferences
- Engage with regulators and lawmakers through CII's reputation as the leading advocate for institutional investors
- View current CII members and read more about our voting and non-voting membership options